This is a quick guide to show you a few tips on how to keep your account safe from hackers and how to be aware of them.
So how do you stay safe on the internet?
Do not give anyone your personal Habbo details or real life details.
If anyone is threatening or bullying you, contact someone as soon as possible. Ali21. and Channdie will be happy to help if anything like this is happening.
Remove and ignore people who are a threat to you.
What links should you avoid?
The only links you should trust from HIA is only our HIA slack domains, and our HIA websites (all web pages that has habbohia.com in it).
Make sure to avoid any links that someone from Habbo has sent you via Habbo private messages or whispers. If you get any messages asking things such as “How did you get in the top 10 at this website?” or coin giveaways, please do not visit these links. They can cause your account to be hacked.
What to do if a hacker contacts me?
Easy, all you have to do is ignore, report and remove.
- Ignore the message, it’s too good to be true after all!
- Report the person that sent you the message, even if it’s a close friend as a hacker might have unfortunately got into your friend’s account. If you report them, Habbo mods will look into the issue and will make sure the hacker’s account can’t get to other people.
- Remove the person so they can’t contact you anymore. If they just whispered the link, mute them by clicking their Habbo avatar and press “Ignore”.
Habbo safety questions
In your settings, you have the choice to add some Safety Questions.
If you do turn these safety questions on, make sure you choose questions that no one
but you has the answer to.
You can do this by going to:
(Your username) > Settings > Account Protection > Turn on Safety Lock > Edit Safety Questions
This is a really useful option as even if you give your password away, hackers will still have to go through these. Please be aware that even if you do turn these on, you still SHOULD NOT share your details.
When should I contact someone about hackers?
If a hacker has sent you a link, as we said before just ignore, report and remove them.
If anyone starts making threats or anything you should tell someone about it.
You can contact the founder (Ali21.), the Founding Director (Channdie), or any elective on Slack. They will always be happy to help you when you need them.
Other important things to note about internet safety:
- Never reveal your birthdate, as other people on habbo can use your birthday and first name to track you down using social media like Facebook!
- Never share your social media accounts, even with your close friends in HIA!
- Make sure that all links that are sent to you are secure and do not look suspicious. For example if someone says they want to send u an article from the New York Times, but the link starts with grabify.example, the person is most likely trying to track down your IP address to find your exact location in real life!
- Be mindful of any information that you present to the public or in private, whether that be about you or someone else. It may start out as a simple conversation but the internet is a frightening place and things spread quickly.
We hope this guide has made you aware of hackers and how to handle any issues that you have with them. If you have any more questions that haven’t been answered, feel free to reach any CoS member, the Founding Director (Channdie) or the founder (Ali21.)
This guide was written by CoS (2018). Updated by CoS (2019).