Disciplinary Actions Guide
In HIA, a disciplinary action is the act of warning, striking, demoting, and/or firing HIA personnel due to inappropriate behavior and breaches of the HIA Code of Conduct (CoC). This includes, but is not limited to, rules infringement and disregard for the HIA Bully Policy. Please read these 2 documents as they are very important!
STRIKE SYSTEM: FOR AGENTS
THIS ONLY APPLIES TO RANKS FROM AGENT I TO OFFI AGENT V
For all ranks Security+, the regular strike system applies:
- Verbal warnings are NOT logged.
- Ensure the member is informed of the disciplinary/fired issued against them.
- Please remember to provide valid evidence for any disciplinary logs otherwise, it will be deemed invalid and it will be removed.
- Below is a table showing the minimum rank required to engage in the following procedures:
- While 4iC+ are able to approve their own disciplinary logs, it is still good practise to ask other electives about their opinions on the log.
- All PS+ are allowed to issue strike removals (for observing improved behaviour), only for the logs that they have issued. More information on this below.
- Invalid disciplinary logs may be removed by a Portal Owner. Anyone may report invalid logs, however it is the duty of Marshal Services to check disciplinary logs regularly.
How are disciplinary actions recorded?
All disciplinary actions must be logged on the HIA Portal. If any disciplinary action is given but is not logged on the Portal, it will be deemed invalid. To submit a disciplinary log, you must fill in all of the fields provided.
A disciplinary log on the Portal
- “Person to give strike” refers to the person violating the CoC (NOT YOU)
- Make sure you have checked for prior disciplinary logs before issuing yours.
- The “New Rank (if Demoted)” field is to be used for the following reasons where a demotion is required: a Strike x2 log, court sanctioned punishments, and self-promotion offences.
- Approval should be sought from an SM+ member who is in a higher division than yourself, and 4iC+ for instant fire offences.
- Remember to briefly explain the situation, and quote the Code of Conduct, in the “Reason(s)” field. Reasonings not covered in the CoC or Bully Policy are not acceptable, e.g., personal disputes.
- If any of the fields are filled incorrectly, it may be enough grounds to render it invalid and face removal.
- All Fields are compulsory to fill except “New Rank (if demoted)”.
- Ensure all evidence captured shows a clear story of events (eg. who started what, who did what, and where the events took place).
- While approving a disciplinary log, the approver MUST view the evidence and also agree with the reasoning provided.
- Approvers are also held responsible if an invalid disciplinary log is made. If a Marshal member finds an issue with a log, they are inclined to also ask the approver of the log for their reasoning why it was approved and why they did not check to ensure validity.
How are disciplinary actions removed?
If the member’s attitude and behaviour has improved since the issuing of the disciplinary action, the disciplinary action can be removed by the member who issued it, a 1iC+ member or a Legal Affairs member. It is to be logged in the Strike Removal Log on the Portal, and the member who had their disciplinary removed must be informed. You can also provide some screenshots to show how their behaviour has changed.
A strike removal log on the Portal
My Log was Removed for Invalid Evidence! Why?!
To prevent having your log removed for being invalid, you need to understand what makes a log invalid. One of the most common reasons for invalid logs is invalid evidence.
Here are some common reasons behind invalid evidence:
Invalid Evidence URL: The URL has restricted access. This includes links from Slack.
- No clear evidence of rule infringement
- Excessive cropping of the screenshot, hiding important contextual information
- Screenshots were unclear (e.g., pictures of one’s screen taken with a phone are often blurry)
- Screenshots did not include AND identify the offending person(s) - the Habbo’s name needs to be visible in the Evidence
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
CAN I LOG A DISCIPLINARY AGAINST A HIGHER RANKED MEMBER?
- YES. Any PS+ member may issue a disciplinary action against any other member of staff from any division, as long as the correct approval procedures are met.
- EXCEPTIONS: Only Directorates+ are allowed to issue disciplinary actions against Elective ranks, with the approval from Foundation. The Courts of HIA are also allowed to issue disciplinary actions against Elective ranks when it is the result of a Judicial Decision. If you have evidence that an Elective is breaking the Code of Conduct, please approach Legal Affairs or contact a Directorate+.
- The evidence you submit into Portal must NOT contain private information such as phone numbers, addresses, or real names. Whenever possible, you should censor this information by blocking it out in your screenshots (or videos). If the sensitive information is required to prove your case, and hence cannot be censored, please keep a copy and send one to the Founders or LAiC. In your disciplinary log, write “Classified” in the “Screenshots” field. Please consult Legal Affairs or a Directorate if you require additional assistance.
- NO. Occasionally, you may have a falling out with a member in HIA who may refer to something you have done in the past that you are not exactly proud of, have a jab at your family or just make a comment you may not personally like. This will be seen as a personal issue between 2 or more members, and in this situation, you should refrain from logging a disciplinary. Personal issues should be brought to a higher ranking member and not dealt with by yourself to avoid being called biased. Logs can be removed by Legal Affairs Marshals if a log is to be seen as a personal dispute, or if you have been biased towards a user.
- If a member feels they have been unfairly warned, striked, demoted and/or fired, they can file a case with Legal Affairs. Legal Affairs has the power and authority to overrule most cases of disciplinary actions that are considered unfair or irrelevant. Approach any Marshal members in Legal Affairs Unit for the unfairly warned, striked, demoted and/or fired disciplinary log but please note that, not all cases can be overruled depending on the evidence given whether it is valid or invalid.
If you have any questions about this guide, please feel free to reach out to a Chief of Staff member, or the Legal Affairs team.
First version written by: Arieeru and the Human Resources Team
Full revision by: Hailynxx and Quaker-Oats (LA)
Full revision by: Hailynxx and Quaker-Oats (LA)